Sunday, February 16, 2014

My Thoughts

     Have you ever wondered why slaves would fight for their country when they were kept in bondage all of their lives? I certainly have, and since this is the 82nd year I have been in this world, my curiousity has never been stronger.
     I live in Baltimore County, Maryland, but was born in Baltimore City; since full retirement from the work world, I have taken up researching and publishing books on African American life in Baltimore County. After nine books, I'm now begining to find the answer to my longtime curiosity, and am in the process of researching and, hopefully, publishing my tenth book on Baltimore County's Civil War Regiments of Slaves, and guess what?:  I have already discovered several of my own ancestors from this county who served in the Civil War.
     One of the reasons I have put this blog together is to see if there is anyone out there who may be doing research on their family and have discovered where their ancestors who might have served in the Union Army during the Civil War, and who would consider sharing their information with me.  I would be more than happy to share my findings with you.  To give you some ideas as to the types of information I have been able to secure for my books, please check on the icons on the right of these comments.
     In 1863, Maryland had six regiments of United States Colored Troops (USCT) organized: the 4th, 7th, 9th, 19th, 30th and 39th USCT Regiments.  Thus far, I have already discovered almost 400 slaves and formal slaves from Balimore County who joined these regiments.
     Remember that Baltimore County was much larger back in history.  Parts of Harford, Cecil, Howard, Carroll, Frederick were cut out of Baltimore County.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment